The world of Google is enriched with a really interesting new service! Have you ever heard of Google Scholar? This is a service that Google makes available and is used to perform searches.
What does Google Scholar do?
Google Scholar, in fact, will offer you common materials that you can never easily find on any other search engine but offers you a wide range of:
- Academic books
- Scientific texts
- University materials
- Certified and unpublished writings
- Proceedings of conferences
- Materials for dissertation dissertations
What is Google Scholar?
Google Scholar is a powerful search engine and we have said this: you can do your research, perhaps to write a brilliant thesis, “working” on advanced sources such as:
- School sites
- Academic databases
In this way it will be easy and intuitive to focus on the best performing academic and scientific sources for the construction of our research or our degree thesis. We can easily identify, for example:
Physical and digital copies of academic theses, great for your thesis! No stake! The material can be easily consulted online and it is sufficient to click on a link to view it.
The quality of your thesis is assured because Google Scholar assures you specific sources that you will hardly find on a standard search engine.
- PhD thesis
- Scientific articles
- Press articles
- Legal judgments
- Technical and scientific manuals
- Books on Google Books
By doing so you will avoid, further qualifying your degree thesis, the use of common and easily traceable texts online: it is a great opportunity, you will be able to use unpublished and little used texts precisely because we are talking about a sectorial search engine able to satisfy the more demanding.
How to use Google Scholar!
If you are practical in using Google you will find yourself a wonder also because the interface is intuitive and similar to the “classic Google” you have always used. A few steps and that’s it:
- Type the topic you are interested in in the search bar
- Collect the elements of the search between the quotes “” so you will focus the search on the term typed
- You can also limit your searches to only Italian sources or you can expand everything to other languages
Remember: it is very important to work using “keywords” and “advanced search”
- Go to the Google Scholar website: https://scholar.google.com/
- Click on “advanced search” and enter what you need
The results of searches on Google Scholar show useful information to get an idea of the results: you can find what you need by using the various options:
- With all the words
- With an exact phrase
- With at least one of the words
- Without the words
- Everywhere in the article
- In the title of the article
But now let’s get to the heart and write a keyword to activate the search engine: eg. Communication
The first thing you will notice is that Scholar is not that different from the classic Google: even at the operating level the same procedure is used and it is easy to find the direction with the “keyword”.
Let’s focus now on what differs:
On the left you will have numerous filters that serve to refine your search
- Age of contents
- Relevance or date according to the established criteria of the contents
- The language (Italian or any)
- Include patents or citations
Good! We also add that you can also create a convenient “Alert” to stay updated, via email, in case of new documents inserted.
But there is more!
Open the “drop-down menu” (where the three lines are, “the hamburger bottom” in short!) At the top right:
From here you can access several items to optimize your Google Scholar
You can change the email (which, by default, is the one linked to your Google profile)
Areas of interest
The Web site
And lots of other personal information
By clicking on “My library”, however, you can save all the results of the SERP saved by clicking on the star-shaped icon under each single item.
Beautiful, is not it? Remember that you also have the “Settings” item that you need to better manage the number of results presented per page.
As you can see it is easy to use, you just have to do a little bit of healthy practice.
Here are some tips about it:
- If you are carrying out a generic search (eg verbal communication), be guided by the advice that appears in “related searches” so as to get deeper into the topic
- If the problem is inverse, ie the search results are too specific on a single topic, go to the “References” section where you can broaden your search circle with more general topics on the topic
- If you want to deepen a quote go to “Cited by …” and that’s it
- Do more research, take advantage of Scholar’s potential. Get inspired by the process
- If you have the author of the document, write his name and surname directly and you will know everything about him.
- You will certainly waste much less time in research, travel, libraries
- You have a search engine designed to obtain all the scientific and academic material useful for your degree thesis
What’s more: the indexed results also include articles taken directly from the world’s most authoritative scientific publisher, Elsevier
This enhances the goodness of the Scholar project: clearly the universities and academies of science will decide which type of documents or papers can be consulted: in these cases, there may also be payments to Google Scholar to release and authorize access to the materials in question. This does not change for us because Scholar is an absolutely “free” search engine, however, it should be noted, it is not certain that everything can be consulted for free and freely.
Don’t panic though:
Google Scholar will always offer you available copies free from any form of restriction.
Of course, universities and academic institutions can also establish links with Google Scholar to make their books available.
There is another aspect to consider. If you want to publish your thesis on Google Scholar you can do it!
- Register and create an account
- Fill out the form and enter the information relating to your business
- Add the material and articles you intend to share
From the “Settings” item you can indicate:
- How many results should appear per page
- If you want the results to appear on a new page
- If you want links to the original libraries to appear
Are you ready? Register, create your account, and use this formidable search engine to write the perfect degree thesis!
If you still need help with writing your thesis, contact us for advice. We are available every day of the week! Ask for online writing help.